Home-Made Coffee Ice cream
My house-mate Mike is always on the look out for a good coffee ice-cream, most of them taste so artificial or don't have enough coffee flavour and he is always grumbling about manufacturers making coffee ice-cream and adding chocolate. He tends to swear a lot about companies adding chocolate to everything (needless to say he has not tried a lot of the recipes I have been making as I love chocolate). So to appease his grumbles, I am making this coffee ice-cream that I found at SUGAR-FREE MOM's site (fantastic site for those on a sugar detox, highly recommend a visit!). And as he loves cream I am sure he will love this.
Equipment Needed:Ice-cream scoop, ice-cream maker if you have one (not totally necessary as I don't and it can be made the old fashioned way), a whisk, funnel to make it pretty if you have one.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (UK double cream)
- 1/2 cup chilled strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup half & half (UK single cream, or half double cream and half full fat milk)
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 -1/2 teaspoons Sweetleaf Liquid Stevia, English Toffee (add this drop by drop, you may find this measure too strong, so add and taste) - if you don't have stevia you can experiment with other sweeteners (honey, coconut sugar, maple syrup etc.). If they taste good let me know.
*Stevia: you can buy liquid stevia from RawLiving.Eu for UK readers. Otherwise lots of sellers online sell in the USA etc.
If you have a funnel and ice-cream maker whisk all the ingredients together, funnel into your ice-cream maker and follow the instructions for ice-cream.
If you don't have an ice-cream maker, whisk together all the ingredients and place into a freezer proof container. Now you will need a few hours to do this. Once an hour take the container out and whisk again. Every hour for around 4 hours. This stops the ice-cream crystallising and getting all crunchy like ice-cream can do if not churned in the freezing process.
Voilà! Yummy coffee ice-cream! And Mike loved it (win win!)